MiniDebugInfo support

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 19:52:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 18:50:27 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 03:32:11PM +0100, Martin Milata wrote:
> > 2) What is the right way to add the support for it to the library?
>
> If there is no symtab/strtab available I guess this could be used
> as fallback for dwfl_module_getsymtab()/dwfl_module_getsym().

I have provided such feature for the ppc64 .opd symbols provider in:
	[patch 1/3] ppc64 .opd: Refactor syments/first_global
	https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/elfutils-devel/2012-December/002840.html

Therefore besides ebllocals + eblglobals there could also be provided for
example minidebuglocals + minidebugglobals.

ppc64 .opd is dependent on EBL as it is arch dependent and EBL is only in
Dwfl_Module (not in Elf).  While arch-independent minidebuginfo support could
be implemented in libelf/ I think, therefore one would somehow extend the
current gelf_getsymshndx interface and its caller dwfl_module_getsym instead.

Although Mark suggests Dwfl_Module above, not Elf, not sure if there are
reasons for it.  Maybe libdwfl/ matches such high level feature better.

Regards,
Jan