[patch] Resolve ppc64 func descriptors as .func (via .opd)

Mark Wielaard mjw at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 11:35:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:11:11PM +0100, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:59:42 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > But you haven't convinced me that we need to mangle the symbol
> > or the return string. Please just keep it simple.
>
> Yes, this is what I try to do.  BFD is proven to work and also one
> stays safe when user interchangeably uses binutils<->elfutils input/output.

Pushing for elfutils to become more like BFD is not likely to gain
many fans :)

> > but mangling the symbol name/return string shouldn't be part of it.
>
> This would break the ppc64 ABI, I cannot do that as I have some professional
> responsibility.
>
> What is the next step?

We drop the patch for now. Yes, dwfl_module_addrname/sym () doesn't work
as expected for ppc64. You convinced me that we don't want to introduce
new functions for this just for ppc64 because that would be too inconvenient
for the users. I explained a couple of times now how dwfl_module_addrname/sym
can be made to work for ppc64. But it seems you cannot/don't want to do
that. So we are now just stuck, unless someone else fixes it.

I am not going to endlessly discuss this over and over again with you.
There is more important stuff to concentrate on for now.

Cheers,

Mark