Help using elfutils to get function and line number

Mihai Tarce mihaitarce at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 15:33:32 UTC 2009

>No offline debuginfo parser library can perform this address mapping

>by itself since the shared library address data is only available at
>run time.

I'm using the dladdr() GNU extension to parse the output from backtrace()
at runtime, and that gives me more information about each return address
on the stack. Specifically, it gives me the shared object file name and base
address, nearest symbol name and address. For the binary itself, that
address is the one I need. For dynamically loaded objects, subtracting the
base gives me the address I need.

gdb's backtrace command however gives me more information, such
as line number and line content (when compiled with -g); that is the information
I want to extract using elfutils (I know it's available, since I can read it with
readelf -wL). Any help in this direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mihai