Possible removal of ABRT from FW 21

Jakub Filak jfilak at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 09:08:06 UTC 2014

Dear Michael,

On Thu, 2014-07-17 at 08:26 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Fedora Workstation group has been discussing the possibility of
> dropping ABRT from the live image for F21 so that it is no longer
> installed by default.

Thank you for notifying us!

> The discussion starts at [1] and is probably best
> summarized by that first post.

Thank you for the feedback!

> The consensus seems to me to be that the automatic crash reporting
that
> runs in the background and notifies the user when programs crash is
OK,
> but only if it can be separated from the GUI for reporting to
Bugzilla,
> which we do not want to keep at this time for the reasons brought up
in
> that thread. I'm particularly interested if the ABRT developers would
be
> interested in working on the development and packaging changes to make
> that split possible, or if it would best to drop ABRT altogether for
the
> time being.

The GUI is already separated in gnome-abrt package. To be honest, we
have not tested a deployment without the GUI package. We would probably
need a bunch of patches to make such an installation stable.

Just to make sure that everyone knows how ABRT works. GNOME users never
report crashes into Bugzilla from the notification bubbles by default.
The only way how they can file a Bugzilla bug via ABRT is to open the
GUI and click the "Report" button.

Since there are many users who tends to open the GUI, even though they
do not want to report any crash into Bugzilla, and becomes upset after
unforced click to the "Report" button, we are considering to disable the
Bugzilla reporting for GNOME users by default. They will send only the
automatic bug report and an anonymous comment [1][2][3].

> Please note that I am not a member of the working group, and there has
> not yet been any formal decision on this matter -- this is just a
> heads-up that one may be approaching. If you want to participate in
the
> discussion, please sign up for the fedora-desktop@ mailing list where
> Workstation planning occurs.

I am not sure whether is a good idea to participate in your discussion.
I do not see any technical questions which we can answer and defending
us in non-technical discussion is not worth it. We know that our product
is not perfect and we appreciate every feedback and idea how to improve
it.

> Thanks,
>
> Michael
>
> [1]