[copyleft-next] An interesting take on license compatibility

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Tue May 21 18:04:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 05:54:44PM +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> IMHO, copyleft-next should be forward-compatible, not only with GPLv2
> and GPLv3, but also LGPL and perhaps MPL.

Is copyleft-next forward compatible at this point?  I didn't think it
was at the moment, but it's been a while since I've done a close look
at the terms, and of course, I'm not a lawyer.  :-) At the very least
I'd be surprised if copyleft-next was forward compatible with LGPL at
the moment.

If it's not, how far away are we from it being forward compatible, and
what would the tradeoffs be?

       	      	     	     	     - Ted