[copyleft-next] copyleft-next 0.2.0 released

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Thu Feb 21 17:46:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 01:31:09AM +0800, Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠) wrote:
> Actually, the sunset clause and the waiver of the copyleft clauses create a de
> facto permissive-next. That makes it important to take this license seriously
> now, rather than as a possible future project.

Good point.

> Is the de facto permissive-next a good license? What separates it from its
> peers, like "BSD-new" and MIT?

Well, it has an explicit patent license grant (with defensive
suspension), a _de rigeur_ feature of what I believe Simon Phipps
calls 'modern' open source licenses. [1]

Probably the better comparison would be to the Apache License 2.0,
which seems to be put forward by some (including, most notably, the
FSF) as the 'best' noncopyleft license available today.

It might be useful to actually create this de facto permissive-next as
a separate document just to be able to think about it more clearly
(e.g. to see how it compares to the Apache License).

- RF

[1] Careful followers of changes to the copyleft-next repository will
note that I recently changed the README.md file to describe
copyleft-next as "post-post-modern". :-)