[copyleft-next] Differences between 0.1.0 and 0.1.1

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Sat Feb 16 16:55:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Richard Fontana
<fontana at sharpeleven.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 08:35:30AM -0800, Luis Villa wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM,  <fontana at sharpeleven.org> wrote:
>> > vi) In the Apache License 2.0/MPL 2.0-derived subdefinition of
>> > "control" contained in the definition of "You", the language "the
>> > power, direct or indirect, to cause the direction or management of
>> > such entity" was changed to "the power to direct the actions of such
>> > entity", implementing a suggestion made by Pam Chestek. This is a bug
>> > in the Apache License 2.0, however minor; it is at best unidiomatic
>> > English to speak of "causing the direction or management" of
>> > something.
>>
>> Merely as a matter of historical/genealogical interest, I believe that
>> language originates in Netscape Public License 1.0.
>
> Ah. It was no doubt idiomatic English in 1998 but ceased being so by
> 2004. :-)

:)

I didn't mean it by way of defense of the language (which I agree on
inspection is odd), merely that I find the historical linkages between
licenses interesting and want to keep the record straight.

Really, someone should figure out a way to do a family tree :) [e.g.,
Apache took that language from NPL; NPL took parts of Source Code from
GPL; I'm guessing GPL took some parts of the warranty disclaimers from
some BSD or MIT variant; the common fair use language came from CC;
etc.]