[copyleft-next] comments on 0.1.1

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Feb 14 17:03:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Richard Fontana <fontana at sharpeleven.org> wrote:

>> 10. Getting to 201 lines
>>     All the metrics of copyleft-next are currently meeting
>>     objectives, except for line count.  How can we best
>>     get down to 201 lines?  Do we really need decorations
>>     for §13 and §14?  That may be acceptable if it is
>>     an alternative for SCREAMING in all caps.  Perhaps
>>     limiting decorations to the margins would eliminate
>>     8 lines?
>
> That's a good idea. If Luis Villa ever sees this I'm curious to know
> what he'd think of that. 8 lines is a lot.

DISCLAIMER: Lines is an awful metric for licenses as for code. You
should use wordcount instead, each paragraph should be a single line,
and your tools (pandoc FTW) should take care of creating a properly
formatted output.

The Uniform Commercial Code (which as a general matter is the source
of the mythology around ALL CAPS; see
http://tieguy.org/blog/2012/08/19/a-quick-note-on-conspicuous-text-also-known-as-all-caps/
) says that if characters are the same size (inevitably the case in a
plain-text document) text can be made conspicuous by being "set off
from surrounding text of the same size by symbols or other marks that
call attention to the language."

"set off" is obviously not well-defined. I'd be inclined to be
conservative and surround the text on all sides, but I could see the
point of doing it only on the sides. If it were just on the sides, I'd
be inclined to make it double-width, like so:

## foo ##

So as to make it *extremely* visible.

Luis