[copyleft-next] HBR cure for 2013-02-03

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Sun Feb 10 05:26:04 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:53:24PM +0800, "Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)" wrote:
> I only know that before glibc 2.0 it didn't work unpatched on a
> Linux kernel. Today it may well be entrenched in Linux specifics,
> but that's not where it came from. I assumed System V would have
> been the original platform.

Nope, it was originally worked mostly used on embedded systems (think
Cygnus Support's customers).  Today it works unpatched on Hurd and
Linux systems.  There are some heavily patched glibc's that can be
used for *BSD (although the *BSD systems have their own libc).  As far
as I know, glibc never worked on Solaris... or AIX, HPUX, Tru64,
Sequent's dynix, etc.

						- Ted