[copyleft-next] app stores and copyleft.next [was Re: has anyone done a proof of concept permissive.next based?]

Tom Marble tmarble at info9.net
Thu Sep 27 15:50:43 UTC 2012

On 09/27/2012 10:42 AM, Luis Villa wrote:
> For what it is worth, I don't think that this should be something
> "along the spectrum" of licenses; it should be possible even with
> strong copyleft licenses, assuming a "neutral" app store [...]

That is our equivalent of "assume a spherical cow" [0]

There is already good evidence that the most popular "app stores"
are not, in fact, neutral.

As much as we may dislike copyright aggregation and proprietary
relicensing that may be the only approach for an (otherwise)
open source program to enter an "app store".

Better than legal shenanigans to get into an "app store" would
be a technical solution of delivering rich applications continuously
to all devices which support HTML5.

Regards,

--Tom

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cow