[copyleft-next] Update 2012-09-08

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Sat Sep 15 03:30:53 UTC 2012

On 09/09/2012 07:03 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Mike Linksvayer <ml at gondwanaland.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Richard Fontana <fontana at sharpeleven.org> wrote:
>>> I removed the reference to the Open Source Definition in the
>>> Proprietary-Relicensing section, because (to the extent I ever did) I
>>> no longer consider the Open Source Definition to be a useful
>>> definition of open source (a point I explained in my talk at LinuxCon).
>>

> Not being trollish here: if I understood your critiques of the OSD,
> don't most of them also apply to the FSD (e.g., ignore community
> structure, development mechanisms, etc.)? Further discussion may be OT
> for this list, but I would love to hear your thoughts on this at some
> point.

The FSD has problems too, don't get me wrong. I do like the document
the FSF maintains here:
as distinct from the FSD proper.

(Not that I agree with everything in this document, but I like the
structure of an elegant definition followed by periodically revised
interpretive commentary.)

As noted in my earlier message I may write something up about this
soon, though I've been kind of busy.

- Richard