[copyleft-next] Allow linking with any FSF/OSI approved license

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Sun Sep 2 01:40:54 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:53:16PM -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:

> I think it will be a good idea to add an exception to this license
> that allows linking the software with ANY of the licenses considered
> as free software license by the FSF/OSI while at the same time forbids
> to link the software with any proprietary license.

I assume there will be some explanatory text making sure that it's
understand that the permission has to come from both directions?
(i.e., it might not be OK to statically link against code with a more
restrictive license, even if it meets the criteria above).

Also, if you're going to forbid "link the software with any
proprietary license", it would be nice to include an explicit
definition of whether link encompasses a shared library link where the
proprietary object is not distributed alongside the copyleft-licensed
software, or an RPC call across the network, or when a propietary
program sends data down a pipe to a copyleft-licensed program....

	      	   	       	    - Ted