[copyleft-next] app-stores and copyleft-next

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Wed Nov 28 04:40:45 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 10:46 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Richard Fontana
> <fontana at sharpeleven.org> wrote:

>> I don't think there is any anti-lockdown text as such. Maybe this
>> needs to be clarified. Did I mistakenly merge a bkuhn patch? :-)
>
> My understanding of the functional requirement of Sec. 9(ii) was that
> it required the *ability* to install, not merely a description of how
> it might be done:
>
> "all scripts, instructions and information known to you necessary for
> a skilled developer to build, compile, generate, modify, install and
> run the Covered Work."
>
> i.e., if the "skilled developer" cannot "install and run the Covered
> Work" (say, because of a lack of keys), then the Corresponding Source
> has not been supplied.

Right. This may have to be fixed ... I suppose what I must have had in
mind was "install and run on the received device in some hypothetical
world in which the device was not locked down", or "install and run on
similar but non-locked-down devices".

Although I note that GPLv3 section 1 uses "install and run", so that's
the origin of this phrasing. That is, "install and run" is part of the
general definition of Corresponding Source in GPLv3 even for those
cases that fall outside the 'Installation Information' requirements of
the second half of section 6. That could simply mean that the GPLv3
definition can be improved upon, or it could mean that there isn't a
real problem in using "install and run" language for a definition of
Corresponding Source that does not necessarily imply a requirement to
provide anti-anti-lockdown information.

 - RF