[copyleft-next] Numbering of first release

Ben Cotton bcotton at funnelfiasco.com
Wed Nov 21 03:40:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Richard Fontana
<fontana at sharpeleven.org> wrote:
> I actually do think it is ready to be used.

Given this, I'm in favor of 1.0.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Richard Fontana
<fontana at sharpeleven.org> wrote:

> I'm somewhat inclined to go with "0.01" (which still is suggestive of
> 'likely to see further improvement').

This is a fair point, but I think 0.01 conveys a "not really ready for
use" mindset, whereas 1.0 is more generally recognized as "usable" by
the public.

Then again, it's just a number, as the varied numbering schemes of
projects like the Linux kernel and WINE can attest to. I like 1.0, but
I won't try to argue against anyone who disagrees.

--
Ben Cotton