[copyleft-next] "reasonable time period" Termination enforceability (was Re: Update)

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Tue Jul 31 02:32:28 UTC 2012

On 07/30/2012 10:14 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Richard Fontana
> <fontana at sharpeleven.org> wrote:
>> I will check into any public archives relating to
>> MPL 2.0 drafting to see why Mozilla decided to adapt the 30/60 day
>> dual approach for MPL 2.0 (or if Luis is reading this he may be able
>> to explain or point to something :).
>
> We saw no reason to deviate from what GPL v3 was doing in this regard;
> it seemed reasonable/workable and GPL compatibility was a significant
> goal for us at the time.

Ah, the principle that "mere nonsubstantive differences in termination
provisions cannot lead to GPL incompatibility" never got codified (and
may never have been fully thought out anyway).

> The two-stage approach is also reasonable, I think, because
> licensee-notice+cure is different from self-awareness+cure.

Yes, very good point; I thought about this after posting that message.
They really are two categorically different provisions. However that
itself seems to be something that adds unnecessary complexity.

 - Richard