Temporary Propietary License

Ben Cotton bcotton at funnelfiasco.com
Thu Jul 19 13:52:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Ted Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:

> I'm curious what people think of this idea; is it workable?  Are there
> some fundamental flaws with this approach?

I think it comes down to a question of ideological purity. Those who
see copyleft as a moral issue will, I expect, find this completely
incompatible. If copyleft-next intends to follow this track, then I
don't think it's a good candidate for a supplement.

For what it's worth, my personal view leans more toward the
compromising. I'd like to think that the ability to delay the release
of source by a "reasonable" length of time might draw people to a
copyleft license who might otherwise use a proprietary license. It's
also possible that the only people who would use such a mechanism
would have gone with a straight copyleft license otherwise, but I see
this as a good way for copyleft to make inroads.

--
Ben Cotton