[copyleft-next] Update 2012-08-25

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Mon Aug 27 00:13:15 UTC 2012

On 08/26/2012 03:15 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> I don't see
> how the lack of similarity after many revisions causes the derivative
> work label to fall off. To me, it seems like once such a label
> applies, it sticks forever.

As an easy example, suppose you gradually transform a work B into a
work A that existed before work B. For example, I could have altered
the text of GPLv3 through a series of editorial revisions, ending up
with the Artistic License 1.0; this would not mean that the Artistic
License 1.0 was a derivative work of GPLv3, though some of the
intermediary works might be. I would expect the answer to your
question to vary with the nature of the work(s), however, not to
mention whatever judicial test for derivative works happens to be
applied in the relevant jurisdiction.

- RF