[copyleft-next] Update 2012-08-25

Tom Marble tmarble at info9.net
Sun Aug 26 03:56:52 UTC 2012

On 08/25/2012 10:46 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
> I've been thinking a lot lately about whether there could be improved
> ways of presenting the license to aid comprehensibility
> (stylistically/typographically, for example, or more significant
> structural changes that some lawyers might not feel so comfortable with).

Plain text limited to 80 columns and LF conventions are
as "good as it gets" (at least for the nerd audience).

It's quite provocative that you break with lawyer tradition
and don't UPCASE entire sections (e.g. Warranty, Liability) --
which is daring as suggesting that one day digital signatures
might replace faxed signatures.

As long as you are stepping outside of lawyer's comfort zones...
have you considered using a "preamble" to set the tone/goals
of the license?  Have you planned a FAQ to accompany the license?
For example you give good reasons why anti-circumvention is
difficult to encode in a license, but why not clarify that
the *mercatoria* one is joining in accepting this license
frowns upon such shenanigans?

Respectfully,

--Tom