[copyleft-next] exceptions/additional-permissions & weak copyleft

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Fri Aug 3 17:03:52 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 10:18 AM, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote at 18:13 (EDT) on Thursday:
>>
>> No, the first time I heard someone complain about it was at Red Hat.
>
> Citation?  I assume you mean Fontana complained about it, since he's the
> GPL expert at Red hat?

Luis, then in law school, was a summer intern at Red Hat while I was
still at SFLC. I assume he's referring to something from that time
period, though I could be wrong. :)

BTW, you don't have to be a lawyer at Red Hat to have views on the
GPL. Many Red Hat developers have strong opinions on licensing issues,
and there's no universal agreement, even among developers otherwise
strongly supportive of GPL licensing.

> Allison Randal on that committee had complaints regarding seeking
> simplicity, which are similar to Fontana's arguments.

Yes. copyleft-next is in some respects inspired by Allison's 2007
essay still available here:
http://radar.oreilly.com/2007/05/gplv3-clarity-and-simplicity.html

- Richard