[copyleft-next] Platonic ideals, restrictiveness and weaker copyleft

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at ebb.org
Wed Aug 1 22:06:39 UTC 2012

Richard Fontana wrote at 08:19 (EDT):
> I don't recall the FSF ever saying that GPLv3 is "stronger" than
> GPLv2, or that AGPLv3 is "stronger" than GPLv3.

I'd readily agree that my calling AGPLv3 a "stronger" copyleft than
GPLv3 is somewhat about marketing AGPLv3.  I don't know if you believe
I'm the only promulgator of that usage, but I agree I've promulgated it.

OTOH, it's certainly true that I believe the freedom of users of
network-hosted software to copy, share, modify, redistribute, and use
modified versions of the software their using *is* an important right
they should have.  Thus, when I say "stronger copyleft", I simply means
"more of the user population are guaranteed rights to copy, share,
modify, redistribute and use modified versions of the software".
--
   -- bkuhn