copr and VCS package versions

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 13:39:42 UTC 2014

On 11/05/2014 02:00 PM, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> we have VCS tag in many .spec files.
> I think would be good if we can automatically trigger building
> packages from any VCS.
>
> By cron/systemd-timer pull upstream repo , append
> git%{gitdate}%{shortcommit} to Release in runtime and build RPMs.
>
> Many packages can be built automatically without problems. As dnf
> doing in Fedora jenkins instance.

I see probably more than 30 ways how various projects are building src.rpm.
I'm not sure I want to fight against people and try to enforce one way to construct src.rpm.
BTW: My prefered way is to use Tito and do:
   tito build --test --srpm
which do exactly what you are describing(*). However people tend to use their own tools.

Jenkins already have plugin, which after successful test build package in Copr:
http://michal-srb.blogspot.cz/2014/04/jenkins-plugin-for-building-rpms-in-copr.html
Is this what you are looking for?

(*) Technically it create Release with:
   git%{number_of_commit_since_last_tagged_version}%{shortcommit}
because this allow upgrades to version with newer version, while plain date does not.
--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS