Is OOM killer killing my builds again?

Miroslav Suchy msuchy at redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 17:12:48 UTC 2014

On 01/17/2014 12:28 AM, Miro HronĨok wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got very strange errors when trying to build OpenSCAD for EPEL 7:
>
> http://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/churchyard/epel7-3dprint/epel-7-x86_64/openscad-2013.06-8.fc21/build.log
>

> Someone suggested that this might be caused by OOM killer. I used to
> have the same error in my openscad-devel copr after copr was announced
> and it was somehow fixed.

Well, I tried to rebuild this package on my machine (4 cores, 6GB RAM, 2
GB swap) and it was OOM killed as well.

This package is *hungry*.

I would suggest to not run make in parallel. Because this is what is
killing it.

%build
qmake-qt4 VERSION=%{shortversion} PREFIX=%{_prefix}
make %{?_smp_mflags} -j2

# tests
cd tests
cmake .
make %{?_smp_mflags} -j1
cd -

With this modification it succeed on my workstation.

Mirek