Removal of Fedora 18

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 15:24:54 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 07:49:08AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 14:27:28 +0100
> Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Fedora 18 will EOL very soon. How will it affect building for F18 in
> > Copr?
> >
> > It is first time event. So we have to define the default behavior.
> >
> > My proposal is to keep it little bit longer available. Is 3 months
> > enough? And then remove it from available chroots. I.e. you will not
> > be able to build new package for Fedora 18. But I would preserve all
> > old builds for F18.
> >
> > Do you agree? Or you have objections?
> > If no one answers with objections or better idea, I would stick to
> > this plan.
>
> I'd prefer it just be disabled on fedora 18 eol day... people shouldn't
> be producing new coprs against old eol releases.

+1

> I agree with keeping existing ones around for a while though, perhaps
> those could live another month or three.

I disagree with this one, though -- built packages should remain "forver".
Packages for EOL fedora releases are still available and repositories on
repos.fedororapeople.org for EOL releases are not pruned.  Those are the
precedents that we should be following.

We may want to move them out of copr (similar to how EOL fedora releases get
moved to archives.fedoraproject.org)

Are repos.fedorapeople.org packages under the user's quota?  If so, we may
want to establish a quota for EOL packages as well so that the user is
encouraged to self-prune EOL or no longer needed builds (package has been
merged into newer fedora or etc).

-Toshio