Evil license Package question

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Dec 15 16:09:05 UTC 2014

On 12/15/2014 10:01 AM, alexis jeandet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would need to put two evil packages for digilent's analog discovery
> board on Copr. This package would contain digilent adept runtime
> (http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,66,828&Prod=ADEPT2) and digilent waveform SDK (http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,66,849&Prod=WAVEFORMS)
> in both case I got an explicit authorization to package it as long as I
> don't use it for anything else than digilent products (an other ugly
> point). The thing is that in my lab we write gpl apps which rely on this
> api and I would like to share this apps on copr.
> An other point, reverse engineering this crap would be really long since
> there is an FPGA inside and as usual no source code for it...
>
> So is it allowed in such case to build a closed source package since it
> doesn't really fit the Firmware exception(some files are libs).

I would guess no:
https://fedorahosted.org/copr/wiki/UserDocs#WhatIcanbuildinCopr

You agree not to use Coprs to upload software code or other material
("Material") that:
* is governed in whole or in part by a license not contained in the list
of acceptable licenses for Fedora, currently located at ​
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing, as that list may be revised
from time to time by the Fedora Project Board;

Assuming the "evil" license in question here is not on the acceptable
list above.

-- Rex