Discussion: Using copr for building SCLs

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 09:29:56 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 03:54:48 -0500 (EST)
> Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> > I'd like to start yet another discussion about some functionality
> > of
> > copr, here it is: One of nice use cases for copr would be building
> > software collections [1]. These however require modified mock
> > chroot
> > (modified config_opts['root'] and config_opts['chroot_setup_cmd']).
> > I'm trying to think of a way how to do this:
>
> What modifications do they need? Also - why can't this just be
> provided
> as an additional 'distro' in the form of another mock .cfg file for
> that distro?
>
> Then the user would just select that in the distro/release in the
> copr
> and build?

I meant something like this, only there would need to be a for frontend to let backend know about the new SCL chroots.

> > My proposal:
> > - Use chroot names like ruby193_fedora-18-x86_64.
> > - Allow users to create these chroots by modifying
> > config_opts['chroot_setup_cmd'] (config_opts['root'] would be
> > autogenerated from the chroot name).
>

> Why overload the chroot name for this?
>
> > - Store the modified information in the MockChroot table and create
> > these on backend using communication channel proposed in [2] (parts
> > of it already implemented in frontend).
> > - Allow selecting these on copr creation/modification as more
> > options
> > for mock chroots, by default hidden under some kind of fancy
> > clickable JS dropdown.
> >

> I need more info about what modification SCLs require to be able to
> judge this well.

See above from my original mail. I'm attaching a diff of what I did with epel-6 mock chroot (and if you ignore my added local repo, it's pretty trivial).

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.