Discussion: Using copr for building SCLs

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Fri Mar 1 08:54:48 UTC 2013

Hi list,
I'd like to start yet another discussion about some functionality of copr, here it is:
One of nice use cases for copr would be building software collections [1]. These however require modified mock chroot (modified config_opts['root'] and config_opts['chroot_setup_cmd']).
I'm trying to think of a way how to do this:
- We would need to allow users to create their own chroots (or more precisely allow them to do certain modifications).
- We would need to be able to send these chroots from frontend to backend.
- We would need some mechanism for sane naming, so that we can distinguish between builds of collections for different releases and architectures. E.g. ruby193-x86_64 is not enough, we need to also store the information about os name (epel/fedora) and os version (epel 6, fedora 18, ...).

My proposal:
- Use chroot names like ruby193_fedora-18-x86_64.
- Allow users to create these chroots by modifying config_opts['chroot_setup_cmd'] (config_opts['root'] would be autogenerated from the chroot name).
- Store the modified information in the MockChroot table and create these on backend using communication channel proposed in [2] (parts of it already implemented in frontend).
- Allow selecting these on copr creation/modification as more options for mock chroots, by default hidden under some kind of fancy clickable JS dropdown.

Thoughts?

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.