Code Review

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 11:50:39 UTC 2013

On 06/20/2013 01:27 PM, Tomas Radej wrote:
> I was thinking that it would be beneficial for the development of Copr
> to use some sort of a code review tool. Since the number of people
> working on Copr should rise in the future, nobody will be able to
> really keep an eye and review what the others are committing. Doing the

This is small project. Very small.

> reviews on the mailing list works now, but it isn't really convenient,
> and IMHO it distracts subscribers already. Not to mention that most of
> the codebase isn't being reviewed at all. We have ReviewBoard packaged
> in Fedora, so I'd like to know if you'd be in favor of using that or
> something else.

ReviewBoard is not so easy to setup (been there, tried that). And you
need some machine for that.

Github is better. You can just make policy that everything have to go
through pull request and need review before you merge.

We are doing code review via Github on my current project. And I would
say that very seldom it catch some problem. And approximately with the
same frequency it pass through commits with some problems.
But it for sure add delay-layer which slows down development.
IMHO it is over-kill for this project.

I agree that sending commits to copr-devel may distract some people. I
would suggest to send those commits to copr-commits mailing list. Who
want to review, can subscribe, others do not need to.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Systems Management Engineering