Community Auth.Next Working Group kick off

Patrick Uiterwijk puiterwijk at redhat.com
Mon Sep 21 13:29:19 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Let me start with a short overview of what the goal of this working group is
and what has been discussed so far in other email threads that kicked this of.

At this point, Fedora Infrastructure is running FAS[1], and planning to upgrade
to an upcoming major version, FAS3.
CentOS infrastructure is also deploying FAS at this moment, since they needed
an authentication system so they can give accounts to SIG[2] members.

Some people have contacted the Fedora Infrastructure and CentOS Infra teams,
asking if they would consider migrating from FAS to FreeIPA[3] with a newly
built Community Portal[4], which would allow interested community infrastructures
to migrate from FAS to FreeIPA.

The goal of this working group is to
- - determine what features FreeIPA with the community portal lacks to replace FAS
  for community projects
and
- - coordinate their development if the FreeIPA community is willing to add them
  to make FreeIPA a valid replacement for FAS.

In my opinion, what we need to start with is determining the set of features
that community infrastructures need that FreeIPA with Community Portal is
lacking, A start for this has been made at [5] by the CentOS people.

I have volunteered to coordinate this working group, and will also be the
representative for the Fedora Infrastructure team.
Brian Stinson will be the representative for the CentOS Infra team.
As infra team representatives, we will be responsible for making sure that
our teams' needs are being represented and the respective teams will stay
up to date.
It would be great if someone could chime in as representative for the FreeIPA
project/Community Portal.

Regarding communication in this working group: we will mostly be using this
public mailing list, and I will get a wiki page setup for an overview, for
which I will send the link to this list in a separate email.

[1]: https://github.com/fedora-infra/fas
[2]: https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup
[3]: http://www.freeipa.org/
[4]: http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Community_Portal