Cockpit 0.77

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Wed Sep 23 13:20:07 UTC 2015

This is a summary of the Cockpit weekly release. This week it was 0.77

Componentizing Cockpit
----------------------

Marius and Stef completed a long running refactoring task of splitting
Cockpit into components.

In an age long gone Cockpit used to be one monolithic piece of HTML and
javascript. Over the last year we've steadily refactored to split this
out so various components can be loaded optionally and/or from different
servers depending on capabilities and operating system versions.

Marius also removed a cockpitd DBus service that we've also been moving
away from. Cockpit wants to talk to system APIs and not install its own
API wrappers like cockpitd.

Card: https://trello.com/c/JPpgUdEh/131-0-77-remove-legacy-cockpitd
Card:
https://trello.com/c/abrN5T0i/170-0-77-migrate-internal-metrics-out-of-cockpitd

The URLs changed
----------------

Because of the above, we unfortunately had to change the URLs. But we've
taken the opportunity to make them a lot simpler and cleaner.

Demo: https://youtu.be/xLa4uRyGVrA

Authentication when Embedding Cockpit
-------------------------------------

Stef worked on partitioning the cockpit authentication so that embedders
of Cockpit components don't need to share authentication state with a
normal instance of Cockpit loaded in a browser.

Demo: https://youtu.be/xbxvEFXaIGw

Card:
https://trello.com/c/B3tf3pdG/214-0-77-partition-authentication-for-embedders

Deleting and Adjusting Kubernetes Objects

Subin implemented deletion kubernetes objects, and adjust things like
the number of replicas in Replication Controllers.

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiv9tIs4qkw

Card:
https://trello.com/c/Zn1iRTkQ/166-0-77-kubernetes-basic-object-delete-and-adjust

Warning when too many machines
------------------------------

Cockpit now gives a warning when adding "too many" machines to the
dashboard. We've set the warning to 20 machines, but various operating
systems can set this warning to be lower.

Screenshot:
https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/55d623eddcb5795e8b5cff13/968x790/0e77b8ce653b79d29a2cc9de75b86b03/dc0c74d8-5e2f-11e5-91fc-901b633a059d.png

Card:
https://trello.com/c/c2Y5qVvY/165-0-77-multi-host-text-warning-simultaneous-connections-to-n-hosts-are-the-supported-limit

Next
----

Andreas did designs for managing the SSH keys loaded for use when
connecting to machines:

Wireframes:
https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/55f14b769262e42e89775936/3555x3301/0c0166255eaf092025c8a5c95f84f15f/ssh-keys-v2.png

There's lots of other work in progress. You can see it here in the
Design and Implementation columns:

https://trello.com/b/mtBhMA1l/cockpit

Cheers,

Stef