Cockpit 0.82

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 12:46:30 UTC 2015

This is a summary of the Cockpit weekly release. This week it was 0.82

Distributed Tests
-----------------

In Cockpit we run thousands of integration tests per day against pull
requests and git master. Each test brings up up Cockpit in a full
operating system VM, and hammers on it in some way. Without these tests
it's impossible to validate that Cockpit actually works.

Last week, the server doing this testing work broke down. We've been
working over the last week to fix that. And it's taken most of our time.

But we've done more, instead of just putting this on another server,
we've worked to make these integration tests run in a distributed manner
across several machines each doing a part of the tests.

The tests are staged via privileged containers, and run in libvirt VMs.
There's still a lot of flakey test failures, but those are being sorted
out step by step.

Docs: https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/blob/master/test/README
More:
https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/cockpit-devel/2015-October/000364.html

Certificate Chains
------------------

Cockpit has supported using certificate chains for its cockpit-ws
component, but only when the underying GLib (2.44+) supported it. In
this release we start to support running TLS with proper certificate
chains even on older GLib versions:

http://cockpit-project.org/guide/0.82/https.html#https-certificates

Next
----

There's lots of other work in progress. You can see it here in the
Design and Implementation columns:

https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/wiki/Features
https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/pulls
https://trello.com/b/mtBhMA1l/cockpit

Get it
------

You can get Cockpit 0.82 in Fedora 23 or Fedora Rawhide:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2015-273bc74c11

Or via COPR for CentOS, RHEL, and earlier versions of Fedora:

https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/sgallagh/cockpit-preview/

Or download the tarball here:

https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/releases/tag/0.82

Cheers,