Cockpit branding changes

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Fri May 22 08:54:07 UTC 2015

In the next release of Cockpit some branding changes are landing:

 * Don't ship logos or trademarked material in cockpit packages.
 * Do ship all other branding upstream.
 * Use /etc/os-release to determine which branding to use.

The reasoning for this is that cockpit-ws is often run in a privileged
container. In addition packages of Cockpit are often used with different
distro flavors.

So we need to choose the branding at runtime.

Logos for a given distro can opportunistically be displayed by including
dangling symlinks in the branding that point to files in the
/usr/share/pixmaps when available.

None of this is amazingly beautiful or clean implementation.
Unfortunately real word things like trademarks and containers get in the
way of a clean operating system.

In addition the way we do branding is not yet stable. If you want to
have branding work, we'd be happy to work with you to include it
upstream (with the exception of logos, obviously).

Cheers,

Stef