New navigation merged

Teppo Turtiainen teppo.turtiainen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 06:33:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to raise this but this new
design feels like a step backwards. What used to be a beautiful and
clear design is now much more confusing and complicated:

* Controls for switching between the views used to run horizontally in
the top navbar, now they run both horizontally in the navbar and
vertically in the sidebar. It's not clear to me what the division of
labour between the top navbar and the sidebar is.

* The sidebar is sometimes visible and sometimes not. It's not visible
in the Dashboard but is visible everywhere else. This makes the UI
jumpy.

* The sidebar has an expander (Tools) despite having oodles of space
and the top navbar is now mostly empty. There is a huge amount of empty
space in both.

* The System view has controls (Host Name, Domain, System Time and
Power Options) and graphs (CPU, Memory, Network Traffic, Disk I/O) side
by side in two columns. (With the sidebar, resulting in a three column
layout.) There is a large empty space below the controls and the graphs
don't fit into view at once on a 1920x1080 display and so there is a
scrollbar.

* The Dashboard view only shows one graph at a time and seems mostly
useless now. This seems to be acknowledged by having the System view
(instead of the Dashboard) as default after logging in.

Would it be possible to come up with a design that ditches the sidebar
and returns the controls for switching between the views to the top
navbar?

Thanks,
Teppo