Travis failures and other CI solutions

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Tue Aug 25 06:42:21 UTC 2015

On 25.08.2015 08:10, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Stef Walter <stefw at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> A little bird also whispered in my ear that Marius has found a
>> work-around for the Travis bug that has been bothering us.
>
> Yes, see here https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/4704
>
> Since I can't seem to let go of this, I'll probably try to make a simple
> reproducer and maybe even dig into the code a bit.  (But I have to say I
> don't know enough about ptys to be of immediate help here.)

For this case here, a PTY acts a lot like a socketpair(). When you
create it you get two file descriptors both readable/writable. The
process is connected to one side, and the other side is read/written by
the terminal (Travis logging system in this case). As you may expect,
there's no concept of stderr in a PTY ... it's all one output stream
(eg: it's all mixed in your terminal).

Stef