Cockpit backwards compatibility

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 08:19:01 UTC 2015

As you may have noticed with previous releases, you could only add
servers with identical versions of Cockpit to the dashboard.

Our WebSocket based message protocol [1] for interacting from the Web
code with the server was not yet stable.

Going forward we'd like to guarantee that you can add servers to the
dashboard even if they run a different version of Cockpit.

This backwards-compatibility starts with version 0.48.

Versions of Cockpit later than 0.48 can be added to each others' dashboards.

We still reserve the right to change the protocol in the coming months,
as long as we don't break the above guarantee. In addition we have not
yet stabilized internal javascript APIs. That will come later.

Cheers,

Stef

[1] http://stef.thewalter.net/protocol-for-web-access-to-system-apis.html