Integrating Cockpit components into other Web Applications

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 19:35:52 UTC 2014

With Fedora 21 out of the way, we've merged the first round of work that
enables reusable Cockpit javascript components that can be integrated
into other web applications.

There is more work to come on this. We're working on refactoring Cockpit
into packages internally, to make it more modular, and allow plugins, etc.

The documentation so far is here:

http://files.cockpit-project.org/guide/latest/development.html

If you're interested in providing early feedback, we have one such
reusable Cockpit component (a web based terminal) ready for playing
around with:

Screenshot: http://thewalter.net/stef/shots/integrating-terminal.png

Example:
https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/blob/master/examples/integrate-terminal/integrate-terminal.html

Component:
http://files.cockpit-project.org/guide/latest/api-terminal-html.html

The above requires Cockpit 0.28.

Because of these changes, if you have a git clone, you'll probably need
to reinstall cockpit over again. I would suggest removing the
$prefix/share/cockpit directory and reinstalling. For example, if you
installed to the default location on Fedora, after building the nw
version you would do:

$ sudo rm -rf /usr/share/cockpit/*
$ sudo make install
$ sudo restorecon -Rv /usr/share/cockpit

Stef