Evolving storaged API

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at redhat.com
Tue Jan 28 08:13:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

the dependency of storaged on UDisks is itching me a bit.  It should
work very well with it, but I think it should also work without it, I'd
say.

We are not far away from that goal, actually.  Here is what I have in
mind...

- Add "Device" property to LogicalVolume.  Then clients can work with
  logical volumes without UDisks.

- Add PhysicalVolume objects, with "Device" etc properties and "Remove"
  etc methods.  Make PhysicalVolumeBlock point to it instead of the
  VolumeGroup.

- Change VolumeGroupCreate and AddDevice methods to take /dev/foo
  devices instead of UDisks object paths.

- Add VolumeGroupCreateFromUDisksPath etc.

- Add UdisksBlock properties to LogicalVolume and PhysicalVolume that
  point to the UDisks objects.

- Have our own Job interface.

- Just watch whether UDisks is running, but don't start it.

What do you think?