Rough work on protocol refactoring

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 17:08:59 UTC 2014

On 17.02.2014 09:02, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Jan Safranek <jsafrane at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> The protocol looks usable, I would only add also 'protocol
>> version' field, this can save a lot of headache when you consider
>> moving from json to something else.
>
> I think we can include that in the "protocol" string, if necessary.

Yes. Did that. Although it's now called "payload" to make it clearer
what it's about.

Updated documentation here:

https://github.com/stefwalter/cockpit/blob/protocol-refactor/doc/protocol.md

Merge request here for initial work on this:

https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/pull/230

> Out of curiosity, are there any alternative already defined/used protocols?

This is really about framing and control commands, over a text based
transport (ie: old WebSockets). It ends up being pretty Cockpit
specific. Nothing else comes to mind that would fit well here.

Stef