More basic newbie questions

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 08:29:56 UTC 2014

Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> writes:

> Okay so I guess if I ramble on about my Archlinux attempts then it won't
> be dismissed out of hand.

Definitely not! :-)

> A user called "irtimmer" has submitted a storaged
> source package to the Archlinuxs AUR repository and I ended up maintaining
> the cockpit-git package. Archlinux currently uses systemd v209 by default.
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/storaged
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cockpit-git

Oho, cool!  But please don't advertise these two packages as 'stable' or
'useable' just yet...

> FWIW cockpitd and cockpit-ws seem to run but when I browse to https://localhost:21064/
> I can't login, most likely because of this...
>
> Feb 25 17:49:21 tosh cockpit-ws[6824]: PAM unable to
> dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_sepermit.so):
> /usr/lib/security/pam_sepermit.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory

Cockpit has its own PAM module, and you need to adjust it for your
distribution.  I think there is no good way around this, or is there?

> There are no standard selinux packages for Archlinux but there are a
> range of selinux source packages in the AUR repo.

Cockpit doesn't depend on SELinux, it's just that our current PAM config
file is very Fedora specific because we were lazy.  Let's fix that now!

I'll try to strip it down so that it works out of the box with upstream
PAM (if there is such a thing).