Cockpit and VNC

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 15:27:30 UTC 2014

I did a bit of a proof of concept for Cockpit showing a GUI remotely
using noVNC. noVNC is a nice HTML5 VNC implementation. This is wrapped
up as a Cockpit plugin ... and Cockpit provides the WebSocket,
authentication, and all of that. It's very raw at this point ... but in
case it piques anyone's interest. Screenshot:

http://stef.thewalter.net/images/cockpit-vnc-example.png

My current work on this will go as far as polishing up this pull request
into Cockpit code example:

https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/pull/1560

Information on installing/creating plugins here, which you'll need to
understand if you want to try this out. You'll also need Cockpit from
git master, or wait until the next 0.34 release.

http://stef.thewalter.net/creating-plugins-for-the-cockpit-user-interface.html

If someone has solid interest into building this into a full Cockpit
feature, then they can work with the Cockpit team to prototype, plan
(with use cases), design (with our designer: Andreas) and implement such
a feature.

Come to #cockpit or cockpit-devel at lists.fedoraproject.org

Features built into Cockpit are expected to work out of the box and be
discoverable. But I think that's within the reach of such a VNC based
"access-a-gui-installer-remotely" use case, if someone puts enough time
into it.

Take care,

Stef