Cockpit dependency on PCP without Avahi

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 11:11:47 UTC 2014

We're working on using PCP to load server resource metrics in Cockpit.

Is it possible to build pcp-libs without libavahi? It seems an odd
feature for such a low level library to have ... as opposed to higher
level PCP tools ... where dynamic discovery is interesting.

cockpit-bridge is the piece of Cockpit proxies requests from the
Cockpit Web a component we want to have as few barriers as possible.
It's part of Cockpit that we want to be able to be installed on as
many servers as possible. So we have to take a hard look at every
single cockpit-bridge dependency, even the ones we currently have...

Can we have /usr/lib64/libpcp.so without an Avahi dependency? Or
should we treat PCP as an optional dependency of Cockpit and structure
our code so that PCP is more of an add-on, used when available?

What do you think?

Stef