Cockpit port change to -> 9090

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 07:54:05 UTC 2014

Hey all,

There's been lots of discussion (on IRC and elsewhere) about choice of
our default port, currently 1001. That's an unregistered port, but it's
very unlikely we could register it (doing so requires an IETF RFC).

Fedora is the first distro we're packaged in "for real" ... and the
Fedora Server WG has asked us to try and use a port that has less of a
chance of conflicting with something else in the future.

On the Cockpit side it's very important that we use a memorable port. In
fact it's one of the few ports admins will be typing repeatedly over and
over again.

The one that looks appropriate is 9090, which is for "Web System
Manager". It's pretty easy to remember and hopefully will be consistent
with some other web based consoles for other OS's.

Cheers,

Stef