Cockpit as a privileged container?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Aug 8 23:04:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014, at 11:57 AM, Stef Walter wrote:

> So to summarize this... Do you know of anyone who's tried this stuff out
> with Cockpit? Interested in the results in any case, and open to patches
> that help make it work.

I don't offhand.  One way to approach this might be to mount the host
file system at /sysroot or something in the container.  The cockpit
would have to conditionalize itself and say: Am I in a container?  Look
at /sysroot/proc.

Though that might get untenable for things like systemd APIs that are
basically just wrappers around looking at files in /run.

And for that matter, having to find the system bus at
/sysroot/run/dbus/system_bus_socket.

It's messy - at least while trying to preserve the traditional
deployment too.

Maybe flip it around and try to have cockpit-in-container have its data
all isolated in /usr/lib/cockpit (including the binaries).

On the other hand - if we made Cockpit work in this pattern, I'd say it
would work for any management agent / config system / etc.