[cobbler] Getting started with cobbler for Ubuntu 14.04...

Paul Michali (pcm) pcm at cisco.com
Fri Sep 26 18:21:33 UTC 2014

Hi,

I’m trying to setup a build server for provisioning boxes with Ubutnu 14.04 and am stuck at a step. Hoping someone has ideas...

On the build server (VM), I installed cobbler on Ubuntu 14.04 server, setup for dnsmasq for DHCP and DNS, and installed ipmitool.

I imported the trusty-x86_64 image. From the cobbler web page I created a system selecting the trusty auto profile. In the profile, I selected the trusty repo. In the profile, the distribution field is blank (and has no selections).

I did a power off, power on of the target system using cobbler and it net booted and started a Ubuntu install. During the install, it got to the point where it should download from the ubuntu archive mirror. It sits there for a long time, and then eventually fails with a Bad Archive Mirror. If I go back, it has the right IP for the server, and the path points to a valid directory on my server.

If I D/L a Trusty image to the server, create an image in the web page (Note: the breed and OS version are blank and have no selections) and use that in the system, when I cobbler sync, I get a traceback:

…
Writing template files for trusty-x86_64
rendering DHCP files
Exception occured: <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>
Exception value: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'arch'
Exception Info:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cobbler/remote.py", line 87, in run
    rc = self._run(self)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cobbler/remote.py", line 186, in runner
    return self.remote.api.sync(self.options.get("verbose",False),logger=self.logger)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cobbler/api.py", line 767, in sync
    return sync.run()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cobbler/action_sync.py", line 132, in run
    self.write_dhcp()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cobbler/action_sync.py", line 218, in write_dhcp
    self.dhcp.write_dhcp_file()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cobbler/modules/manage_dnsmasq.py", line 133, in write_dhcp_file
    systxt = "dhcp-host=net:" + distro.arch.lower() + "," + mac

Any idea what I’m doing wrong or missing in this process?

Anything I may have done wrong with the image (if that is the right way to go)?

PCM (Paul Michali)

MAIL …..…. pcm at cisco.com
IRC ……..… pcm_ (irc.freenode.com)
TW ………... @pmichali
GPG Key … 4525ECC253E31A83
Fingerprint .. 307A 96BB 1A4C D2C7 931D 8D2D 4525 ECC2 53E3 1A83