[cobbler] Can deploy Ubuntu using a kickstart file rather than a preseed?

Nishanth Aravamudan nacc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 25 19:53:25 UTC 2014

On 25.09.2014 [19:40:12 +0000], Will Dennis wrote:
> Thanks, Alastair. Guess I'll be learning Debian Installer syntax then
> ;)

Yeah, I'd recommend d-i as the default, but it's painful and preseed is
not well-documented (especially the hidden options/values to make for a
NQA (no questions asked) install).

> Would be cool in the future if Cobbler could support either d-i or
> kickstart for breed "ubuntu", since there is support now, and I'd
> wager most Cobbler users are more familiar with kickstart...

I don't think it's worth doing until it's fully supported by Ubuntu.

But, I don't see why you can't just have your profile use a kickstart
and it wouldn't just work? I don't believe that Cobbler really knows
about the syntax of the file used to netboot, it just treats it as a
template, etc. I might be wrong, though.

That is, for your system, just point it's kickstart entry to a kickstart
file instead of a preseed. Does that work?

-Nish