[cobbler] second system won't boot

Jeremy Jeremy.Mordkoff at riftio.com
Mon Sep 22 19:49:47 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 03:08 PM, Alan Evangelista wrote:
> On 09/22/2014 03:31 PM, Jeremy Mordkoff wrote:
>>
>> I have cobbler up and running and I've installed to my first system
>> at least a dozen times. The first system had two CPUs and 16 GB RAM.
>>

>> Now I'm trying a mass deployment.  These new systems all have 1 CPU
>> and 8 GB RAM.
>>

>> The install fails on the new systems. I compared the output from
>> cobbler system report for the two systems and except for the obvious
>> differences in names and addressing, everything else is the same.
>>

>> It drops down into an emergency shell right after
>>
>> Warning: Could not boot
>>
>> Warning: /dev/root does not exist
>>

> You can use the same profile for all systems, you just need one
> Cobbler system object for each system.
> You must fill network data in each Cobbler system object.
>
> What Linux distribution are you trying to install? I suppose you are
> not providing
> system network setup in kernel options, in which case the installation
> kernel will
> use DHCP to setup network. I have already seen this non-intuitive
> error message
> in RHEL/Fedora installations, its root cause is that DHCP was unable
> to get network
> information from DHCP  server after netbooting and before starting OS
> installation.

Fedora 20

I have a new profile for the new system.

I do believe this is a DHCP issue, but I cannot determine why this
system is behaving differently than the first one. The two are the same
except the second unit does not have the second CPU populated and it
only has 8 GB ram...neither of which I would think would affect the
network.

DHCP clearly is working because the PXE boot client was able to get an
address. So why can't linux?

Are there any tricks to debugging stuff after the 'Reached target basic
system' message?

JLM