[cobbler] Simplified patch process?

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Thu Sep 18 19:00:29 UTC 2014

Hello:

I have patched a few things on my local copy of 2.6.5 and I would like to
contribute the fixes back upstream.  However, when I asked before what to do
with my fixes, I was told:
     Submit a pull request on github - https://github.com/cobbler/cobbler

Is there any sort of "using GIT to submit simple patches for non-GIT users"
documentation?  I have no idea what a "pull request" is.  I don't know how to
use GIT to get a copy of the 2.6.5 branch, etc.  I am familiar with other
revision control systems, but GIT seems to be quite different and this seems
to be a complicated process for a four line patch.  Is there a simple cookbook
for how to do this?

Yes, I did read the documentation at:
http://www.cobblerd.org/manuals/developer/1_-_Patch-process.html
but this seems to assume I already know how to use GIT.

When I signed up at github.com, it said I needed to pay money for space.  Does
this apply to one who is only submitting deltas to an already existing project?

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ            gaa at ulticom.com             +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 856 866 2033

Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
     People don't read documentation voluntarily.