[cobbler] Enable system menu item on pxe boot with "cobbler system add" and static IP address

Paul Robertson probertson at unixway.com
Sun May 4 17:02:45 UTC 2014

We currently use cobbler 2.7 with "manage_dhcp=1" on Redhat to install
clients with a static IP address i.e.

 #  cobbler system add --name=scratch2 --profile=rhel6
--mac=00:50:56:b2:53:36  --ip-address=10.10.3.27 --netmask=255.255.255.0 \
        --gateway=10.10.3.1 --static=1
--dns-name=scratch2.example.com--hostname=scratch2 --interface=eth0

The target system boots and the installation proceeds automatically with no
use intervention required. Good.

Is is possible to configure cobbler so that it also adds the system
"scratch2" to /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default file? This would allow
me to configure a dhcpd server in a remote subnet that just assigns a dhcp
address and sets "next-server cobbler-central-ip" . On boot, the client
console would then present a pxe menu from the "default" file that includes
all the cobbler dhcp profiles, but also a new menu item for each static-ip
system. I'd then scroll through the pxe menu and select "scratch2", and it
would then be assigned the desired static IP address and hostname.

I suspect I'm missing something in the docs, since this seems a common use
case.

Cheers,

Paul