[cobbler] [cobbler-devel] Call for help: testing RPM packages

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Mon Feb 24 19:33:24 UTC 2014

On Monday 24 February 2014 06:42:07 Jörgen Maas wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Yes, this would not have been possible without your many patches to the
> Cobbler build system, so thanks again! :)
> My hopes for this packaging effort is to get more direct involvement from
> downstream users & developers to give the development of Cobbler another
> boost.

I think its a step in the right direction.

> If you are willing to contribute a README for SUSE that would be great!
>
> Regarding the a2enmod/a2enflag stuff, we currently do those things in the
> %post section.
> Is it against openSUSE's packaging policy to do this?
> I think it would be best to align our packages as close as possible with
> the downstream packaging policies.

I talked with guys on #obs and they said its not done in opensuse. The
subversion package for example only has a README explaining what is needed to
activate a subversion server. No automatic enabling/disabling of apache
modules.

And i found nothing at all in the suse package guide so i guess that is
correct. We will be unable to configure a system correctly for cobbler anyway
(SSL Certificate for example) so i guess it makes sense to not enable anything
at all. Cobbler is not for the casual user. Those that enable it should take
care to get it right manually.

Mike