[cobbler] Finding snippet errors

Robert Jacobson Robert.C.Jacobson at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 22 12:05:22 UTC 2013

On 3/22/2013 7:30 AM, Harry Hoffman wrote:
> Have you run "cobbler validateks" on the kickstart file that includes
> the snippet?

Thanks, I didn't know about this -- However, for my particular example
of a broken snippet, it doesn't help.  It just stops working with a
non-helpful error message when it gets to the kickstart with the problem:

    Exception occured: <type 'exceptions.NameError'>
    [etc]

> Also, there's the ErrorCatcher class in cheetah (albeit not built into
> cobbler) that can help with this.

Thanks again!   This will probably help for some things.  Still, it
doesn't appear to help with my example broken snippet.  At least, not
when I did this:
     #errorCatcher Echo
     #if $break_me == 1
     #  no #end if...

I did notice that if  you have an undefined variable, it changes the
behavior completely.  Without errorCatcher, the kickstart would just have:
     $SNIPPET('snippet_with_error')
but with errorCatcher, the kickstart is printed with the undefined
variable in it.  Maybe this isn't a good thing, because there's no error
message anywhere I can find.  i.e. all the errorCatcher does in this
case is make the error silent!  At least when "$SNIPPET" is present I
know there's an error in it :)

--
Robert Jacobson               Robert.C.Jacobson at nasa.gov
Lead System Admin       Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO)
Bldg 14, E222                             (301) 286-1591