[cobbler] overriding name_servers_search

James Cammarata jimi at sngx.net
Mon Mar 18 13:18:33 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Robert Jacobson <Robert.C.Jacobson at nasa.gov
> wrote:

> I'd like to override a profile-set variable for one particular system, but
> I can't figure out how to do it.  For the system, I want to completely
> replace name_servers_search with "foo.com", but when I put in 'foo.com'
> for name_servers_search for the system (using the web interface), it just
> appended it to the profile's value list rather than replacing it:
>
> # cobbler profile dumpvars --name=feds | grep name_servers_search
> default_name_servers_search : []
> name_servers_search : ['gsfc.nasa.gov', 'nasa.gov']
>
> # cobbler system dumpvars --name=test | grep name_servers_search
> default_name_servers_search : []
> name_servers_search : ['gsfc.nasa.gov', 'nasa.gov', 'foo.com']
>
> Platform:  cobbler-2.2.3-2.el6.noarch, cobbler-web-2.2.3-2.el6.noarch
> (EPEL) on RHEL6.4

Unfortunately there is no way around this, name servers and the search
domains are inherited up. What you could do instead is to copy your "feds"
profile and name it "feds-no-dns" or something similar which will have no
name server search assigned, and then assign systems to it for which you
want to manually specify the DNS variables.